Prerequisite: You should have already set up Triggers in Google Tag Manager.
Learn how. Once you have set up Triggers in the Google Tag Manager, you can go ahead and set up Tags.
To set up tags in Google Tag Manager
Log in to Google Tag Manager by navigating to its home page
Click Sign in to Tag Manager.
The Login page appears.
Sign in with your credentials.
The All Accounts page opens with the name of your website.
4. Click the name of your Website.
The Google Tag Manager dashboard opens.
5. Click Tags in the main menu on the left side of the dashboard.
6. Click New to create a new tag.
Tag Configuration page opens.
7. Give a name to the tag on top where it says Untitled Tag.
8. Click the grey circular tag icon in the Tag Configuration box.
The Choose Tag Type page opens.
9. Select Google Analytics - Google Universal Analytics as the tag type.
The Tag Configuration page is updated with the selected Tag type.
10. Select the desired Track Type from the track type drop-down list.
11. Select the checkbox Enable Overriding Settings in this Tag.
A new field Tracking ID appears.
12. Enter your Google Analytics tracking id in the Tracking ID field.
13. Click the Trigger icon.
The Choose a Trigger page opens.
14. Choose a Trigger from the list of already created triggers.
Learn more: Create a Trigger.
15. Click Save.
Your tag will be saved.
16. Click Publish.
All your changes will be published.
You have successfully set up the Tags in Google Tag Manager.