When a guest buys retail products from you, there could be situations when the products may turn out to be defective or guest is not happy with the product. In such scenarios, guest may want to exchange the product with a new one. Read on to know how you can perform product exchanges in Zenoti.
Organization Settings for Product Exchange
- Go to Organization level > Admin > Organization > Organizations > Settings tab > Invoice and Receipt toggle.
- Scroll down to Invoice Settings.
- Ensure Allow product exchanges checkbox is selected.
- Any user who can perform product refunds should be able to exchange products.
- Users with Edit Restock Quantity checkbox enabled (Organization level > Admin > Security Roles > Select a Role > Permissions tab > Refund section) should be able to view and edit the 'Restock Quantity' while exchanging products, when "Allow to restock returned products" setting is On for the Organization (Organization level > Admin > ORGANIZATION > Organizations > Settings > Inventory toggle).
Note: You can process an exchange (i.e., you will be able to see Exchange icon against a product): When the Purchase invoice of the product being returned is closed.
Exchange a Product
1. Go to the Guest History > Products tab.
2. In the Exchange column, click the Exchange icon against the product being returned.
3. In the Product Exchange pop up:
- Ensure the returned product name is correct.
Unit price of the product sold is shown within parentheses.
Note: If you have selected an incorrect product, click Cancel to close the pop up.
- Quantity (of the returning product): Enter the number of units of the product that the guest is exchanging.
- Restock Quantity: Enter the quantity to be added back to stock.
Note: The setting Edit Restock Quantity should be ‘On’ in order to see the field (Refer to the Role Permissions section for details).
- Enter the name of the product the guest would like to buy in an exchange.
The price and the applicable tax for just one unit of the selected product appears.
- Quantity (of the new product): Enter the number of units of the product the guest would like to buy.
- Sale by: Select the name of the employee who is processing the exchange.
- Click Exchange.
What Happens After Clicking 'Exchange'
When a product is exchanged, a prepaid card will be automatically created and loaded with the refund amount and this card will be redeemed on the new product being sold in exchange. So, at the end of the exchange, guest simply has to pay the balance amount, if any.
Zenoti generates 2 invoices in this process:
- Invoice of the Returned product
- Invoice generated for the new product (that is purchased as a replacement)
Invoice of the Returned Product
Invoice of the returned product shows the product being returned.
Note: Product refund will be done by Zenoti using a new custom payment type “Exchange - Internal” which is internal to Zenoti and will be used only in exchanges.
The invoice also loads a zero-priced prepaid card with the refund amount. This prepaid card is used to automatically pay for the new product.
Zenoti adds the returned product back to the stock if you have entered the quantity of product to be restocked (Refer to the Role Permissions section for details).
Invoice of the New Product Purchased as a Replacement
The invoice generated for new product is a sale invoice similar to the one generated on purchase of a new product.
Let’s see how Zenoti handles the price differences in the product returned (P1) vs. new product taken in exchange (P2).
Assume Amy Barrymore purchased a Shampoo, however, Amy wants to return the product and take Gel Liner instead.
- If the price of Shampoo is equal to the price of Gel Liner then, Amy doesn’t have to pay anything as the price is adjusted via the prepaid card that was generated during the exchange.
- If the price of Shampoo is more than the price of Gel Liner then the remaining amount will remain in the prepaid card that was generated during the exchange. Amy can use this at a later point of time or ask to refund the prepaid card.
- If the price of Shampoo is less than the price of Gel Liner then collect the balance amount from Amy and close the invoice.
Impact on Reports
- Sales report - The replacing product sold to the guest is counted as a new product sale and is recorded in product sales reports.
- Refunds report - Returned product can be tracked using Refunds report.
- Commissions report - Employee commission for the returned product will be deducted and employee commission for the new product will be added to the payroll period when the exchange occurred.
How to refund the auto-generated prepaid card?
If a guest insists on refund of the value of the auto-generated prepaid card, do the following:
- Open Guest Profile, go to Prepaid cards tab and click the invoice related to
the product being returned.
Invoice appears in a new window.
- On the invoice, select 'Refund the Invoice' for I want to.
A pop up appears showing the details of auto-generated prepaid card.
- Select the checkbox preceding the prepaid card details, enter the refund
amount and click Proceed to Refund.
A screen to select the refund payment method appears. You can refund
using one or more options (Custom or Cash).
- Select the Payment method: Custom or Cash and click Refund.